I wanted share my favourite carrot cake recipes. Its gluten, wheat and dairy free, but does use ground almonds instead of flour so no good for those with a nut allergy.
It’s a very moist cake, which gets even more moist over time. Of course it doesn’t last very long in this house. I save calories by leaving out the topping. It’s so delicious, it doesn’t need anything added.
Original recipe from ‘Beat IBS through Diet’ by Maryon Stewart & Dr Alan Stewart. I’ve added my own twist to this delicious recipe by adding cinnamon, raisins and using orange peel instead of lemon.
225g grated carrot
225g ground almonds
225g sugar (I’ve used Demerara sugar, which really changes the flavour. I love the slight crunch it gives)
rind of an orange or lemon
1 & 1/2 tbsp rice flour
1tsp w/f baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon (could easily add more)
1. Add the egg yolks, sugar and peel to a bowl and beat.
2. Add the carrot, ground almonds and raisins and mix.
3. Add the rice flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
5. Gently fold the egg whites into the rest of the mixture.
6. Add to a lined and greased loaf tin or high-sided baking sheet. Bake for about 45 minutes at 160/170 fan.
Delicious, and the kids love it.
I love finding healthy (ish) gluten free recipes. Have you any to share?
Tomorrow Hampton Court.
Links to previous posts can be found here