For anyone about to self publish, or considering it in the future, these are the things I’d do beforehand.
- I would have lined up some reviewers and sent them preview copies.
- I would have started taking an interest in social media a lot sooner – not just for promotional purposes, but because you can learn so much from other writers who have already been through the whole process.
- I would have got more sleep to balance out the late nights and periods of insomnia.
- I would have drawn up a marketing plan and researched all the possible avenues for promotion.
- I would never publish in November if I also planned to take part in NaNoWriMo.
- I’m not sure that a Monday is the best day for publication. A Friday or Saturday are better days for a celebration and I definitely WOULD throw a huge party! Why not, it’s all over so quickly you may as well make the most of it.
- I would have organised a print copy to be released at the same time as the ebook. People have been asking for a paperback version, so maybe the printed book isn’t dead. It may cost more, but at least people have the choice and you aren’t missing out on possible sales.
- I would already be in the final stages of editing my next book so I could get that published asap.
I’m still learning as I go along, so I’m sure there will be many points to add to this list over time.
If you have any helpful tips or suggestions, I would love to hear them.